COVID-19 pandemic consequences in people with diabetes may include more than physical findings. Optimal care should include support for indirect risks and disruptions in routine care during a pandemic.
New diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes (T1D) Urgent insulin start where symptomatic HbA1c >10%, or in cases where physical examination is essential (e.g., foot ulcer, infection)6
- Jordan R, Adab P, Cheng K. Covid-19: risk factors for severe disease and death. BMJ [Internet]. 2020 [cited 2020 Aug 10]; 368:m1198. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m1198 DOI: 10.1136/bmj.m1091
- Bode B, Garrett V, Messler J, McFarland R, Crowe J, Booth R, et al. Glycemic characteristics and clinical outcomes of COVID-19 patients hospitalized in the United States. J Diabetes Sci Technol [Internet]. 2020 [cited 2020 Aug 10]; 14(4): 813–821. Available from: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1932296820924469 DOI: 10.1177/1932296820924469
- Saulnier DD, Ribacke KB, von Schreeb J. No calm after the storm: a systematic review of human health following flood and storm disasters. Prehosp Disaster Med [Internet]. 2017 [cited 2020 Aug 10];32(5):568–579. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28606191/ DOI: 10.1017/S1049023X17006574
- Fonseca VA, Smith H, Kuhadiya N, et al. Impact of a natural disaster on diabetes: exacerbation of disparities and long-term consequences. Diabetes Care [Internet] 2009 [cited 2020 Aug 10];32(9):1632–1638. Available from: https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/9/1632 DOI: 10.2337/dc09-0670
- Hartmann-Boyce J, Morris E, Goyder C, Kinton J, Perring J, Nunan D, et al. Diabetes and COVID-19: risks, management, and learnings from other national disasters. Diabetes Care [Internet]. 2020 [cited 2020 Aug 10]; 43(8): 1695-1703. Available from: https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/43/8/1695.figures-only DOI: 10.2337/dc20-1192
- London Clinical Networks [Internet]. London (EN): National Health Service England London; 2020. Outpatient appointment prioritisation for specialist diabetes departments during the coronavirus pandemic. [Cited 2020 Aug 08]; [1 screen]. Available from: https://www.england.nhs.uk/london/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2020/04/4.-Covid-19-Diabetes-Outpatient-Appointment- Prioritisation-Crib-Sheet-27032020.pdf